Boulder Area Rental Housing Association
BARHA is the premier advocate and information source for residential rental property owners, managers and related business service professionals.
“Wow! I had no idea what a resource this is. Thank you!”
“As a landlord and rental property owner I’ve learned that BARHA membership is priceless.”
Here is what our membership is saying about us:
- “Thank you for stepping up and communicating and supporting all of us.”
- “As always you are a rock star leader and I appreciate your attention to detail and willingness to help.”
- “Thanks for these thoughtful, proactive steps to help us all.”
- “Thanks for always doing an excellent job. With all of the uncertainty of the virus consequences, I’m sure this info will be very helpful to provide a cooperative and understanding message to residents. This will also continue to encourage the City & County to recognize that BARHA is an important & viable positive factor in our community.”
BARHA Renewals Due 7/15/2020 – please renew today! Click here to request online payment link.
This past fiscal year, we have worked harder than ever to keep members up to date in this ever-changing environment. Our services to members have included:
- COVID tools for landlords to work with tenants experiencing hardship
- Weekly e-updates to keep members informed about the most current news related to COVID19
- State and Local legislative updates that effect our community, including election and ballot initiative resources
- Reinstated updates from Boulder County Courts for tenant tickets (want to be on the list? Let us know)
- A tenant notification for landlords as a result of the governor’s executive order
- Membership increase, new onboarding process, new ambassador team
- Eight in person educational events with over 800 people, three in person seminars, and three webinars
- NEW: Vendor Exchange On Line Discussions with different business specific topics
- NEW: Holiday evening event and fundraiser for Voices for Children
- Lawyer-reviewed lease and set of addendums as a resource for our members
City Of Boulder Updates
BOULDER, Colo. -6/19/2020- The City of Boulder today announced plans to implement and leverage an emergency order that amends the definition of Public Nuisance and procedures related to the Abatement of Public Nuisance Code to provide new ways of addressing large and unsafe gatherings in private properties. The action stems from concerns about a lack of compliance to the statewide Public Health Order 20-28, also known as “Safer at Home in the Vast, Great Outdoors.” as well as previous health orders. This order prohibits large gatherings with more than 10 people who do not share a household without adequate physical distancing. Recent incidents in the University Hill neighborhood and a subsequent increase in transmission of COVID-19, particularly among student and youth populations, suggest that warnings and education are not changing behavior.
Effective today, the City of Boulder has amended the Abatement of Public Nuisance Code, under Emergency Order 2020-19, which will allow officials to pursue abatement if a property repeatedly has noise violations or hosts large gatherings.
Any additional violation by properties on this list will trigger potential abatement action. This action is likely to include facilitated conversations and/or mediation with property owners and tenants to address the problem. Failure to comply after that step could result in revocation of rental licenses, which would force tenants to vacate the properties.
A public nuisance is defined as conduct that would annoy residents in the vicinity of the parcel or passersby, which includes violations of public health orders.
Tax Payment Deadline Extended to July 15th
Per the IRS, The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service are providing special tax filing and payment relief to individuals and businesses in response to the COVID-19 Outbreak. The filing deadline for tax returns has been extended from April 15 to July 15, 2020. Link to Additional Resource
COVID-19 Business Resources
Whether you are a vendor member or an owner/property manager, you are most likely being impacted financially by this situation. Here are some resources that may help your business:
Colorado Office of Economic Development COVID-19 Business Resource Center – click to learn more
Here are just a few items that are covered on the website:
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans for Small Businesses
- Deferment of Existing SBA Loans: The Small Business Administration (SBA) announced changes to help borrowers still paying back SBA loans from previous disasters. By making this change, deferments through December 31, 2020, will be automatic.
- Special Enrollment Period for the Uninsured to get Health Insurance: The Division of Insurance and Connect for Health Colorado established a special enrollment period for uninsured Coloradans to get health insurance. Uninsured people will be allowed to enroll in individual health insurance plans (meaning plans NOT from an employer) from March 20 through April 3, 2020. Coverage will be effective starting on April 1, regardless of when someone enrolls during that window. Click here to learn more: Connect for Health Colorado
Colorado Work-Share Program – click to learn more
The Work-Share Program gives you an alternative to laying off your employees. It allows you to let your employees keep working, but with fewer hours. While they are working fewer hours, the CO Dept of Labor & Employment pays them part of their regular unemployment benefits
For COVID19 guidelines, see the resources below:
Boulder County Health Department: 303-441-1100 https://www.bouldercounty.org/departments/public-health/
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDHPE) www.cdphe.state.co.us
CO HELP: COVID-19 hotline: 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911 https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/2019-novel-coronavirus
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ▪ www.cdc.gov
COVID-19 link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/
National Multifamily Housing Council: Corona Resources for Apartment Firms: https://www.nmhc.org/research-insight/analysis-and-guidance/emergency-preparedness/coronavirus-resources-for-apartment-firms/