On April 25, Longmont City staff returned to City Council to further discuss the financial impacts of the Universal Recycling Ordinance and how to support businesses and multifamily properties in complying with the Ordinance. City Council directed City staff to continue the current proposed timeline of:
- January 1, 2024: Recycling services required for commercial properties over 10,000 square feet and multifamily properties with more than 75 units
- June 1, 2024: Recycling services required for all commercial and multifamily properties
- January 1, 2025*: Organics collection required for food wholesalers, distributers, manufacturers, and grocery stores
- June 1, 2025*: Organics collection required for other select business types
- January 1, 2029*: Organics collection required for landscaping companies
*This timeline may be adjusted as we continue to monitor changes to composting policies from A1 Organics
Staff will return for the first of two readings of the Ordinance on May 23, with final approval likely by the end of June. Learn more on Engage Longmont or visit the Waste Services page.
If you have any concerns you’d like to discuss, please reach out prior to the May 23 City Council meeting.